“It is a great honour to be appointed as High Sheriff of Derbyshire. My year commenced on 4th April 2013 and is a one year appointment. During my year I want to continue the excellent work of previous High Sheriffs and represent the Office at every opportunity during my year. The Office is the oldest unbroken appointment of Her Majesty dating back well over 1000 years and it is my ambition to extend and connect the High Sheriff’s Office to as far as is possible during my year.”
My principal role is best summarised as follows:
- To uphold and enhance the ancient Office of High Sheriff and make a meaningful contribution to Derbyshire during the course of my year of Office.
- To lend active support to the principal organs of the Constitution within Derbyshire- the Royal Family, the Judiciary, the Police and other law-enforcement agencies, the emergency services, local authorities, and all recognised church and faith groups.
- To ensure the welfare of the Judiciary; to attend on them at Court and to offer them hospitality
- To support the Lord-Lieutenant on royal visits and on other occasions as appropriate
- To take an active part in supporting and promoting voluntary organisations within Derbyshire.
Derek Mapp Background
Derek Mapp was installed as High Sheriff of Derbyshire on 4th April 2013 at his home in Chesterfield.
Derek was born in Warrington, Cheshire and has had a career in brewing and retailing. Derek has lived in Derbyshire since 1985.
Karen, his wife, was also born in Warrington and together they have been married for 41 years. They have two children and one granddaughter.
Derek’s current and past business interests are extensive and include being a Director of Mansfield Brewery, before forming Tom Cobleigh plc and then latterly Leapfrog Day Nurseries plc. He is Chairman of 3 companies currently, whilst also Chair of the British Amateur Boxing Association. In 1998 to 2004 he was Chairman of The East Midlands Development Agency.
He is a strong supporter of the Derbyshire Community Foundation and this is one of his chosen charities that he intends to support during his year of office.
He is supported in his year of Office by the Under Sheriff Andrew Cochrane of Flint Bishop LLP.